“A New Era of Bioethics At Georgetown”
A 50th Anniversary KIE Symposium, in Association with the PCCB
Welcome to the KIE 50th Anniversary Symposium!
The Kennedy Institute of Ethics welcomes you to its 50th Anniversary Symposium on Bioethics. The symposium runs June 1-5, 2021, in collaboration with the Pellegrino Center for Clinical Bioethics, which is celebrating its 30th anniversary. The event is entirely virtual and free of charge. We ask that participants register for the event to receive important updates and resources.
The full program can be found here.
Some basic information about the symposium:
- All sessions will be prerecorded, except for a synchronous ‘live’ webinar panel on Saturday, June 5 at 11am US EDT, during which a live Q&A feature will be available. The panel session will be recorded and available for viewing on the Symposium Website after the event.
- You must register for the live panel on June 5. You can join the webinar using a Zoom link provided here the day of the event.
- You can use this FORM to submit questions to speakers from any pre-recorded symposium presentation June 1-4 and in advance of the June 5th panel. You will need to resubmit the form if you wish to ask a question of a different speaker.
- Each day the pre-recorded sessions of the day will go ‘live’ at 11am US EST. Previous sessions will remain available on the Symposium Website.
- If you have urgent questions about the symposium and connecting to the panel session, please email email@example.com with the subject line: “KIE 50th Anniversary Symposium”.
Thank you for joining us as we celebrate 50 years of the Kennedy Institute of Ethics (and 30 years of the Pellegrino Center)!
KIE 50th Anniversary Symposium Program
John Keown: Welcome and Introduction to the Symposium
A Welcome from The President of Georgetown University
A Welcome from The Provost of Georgetown University
Daniel Sulmasy: The Kennedy Institute of Ethics
Myles Sheehan SJ: The Pellegrino Center for Clinical Bioethics
Laura J. Bishop: The Visiting Researcher Program and Bioethics Education
Maggie Little: Ethics Lab
Quill Kukla: The KIEJ (The Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal)
Daniel Sulmasy: Theoretical Medicine & Bioethics
Historical Keynote: LeRoy Walters: André E Hellegers and the Early Years of the KIE
Bioethics Keynote: Tom Beauchamp: Bioethics: Past, Present and Future
Karen Stohr: Virtue Ethics and the Skill of Good Judgment
Daniel Sulmasy: Dignity and Bioethics
Sean Aas: Disability, Health, and the Aims of Medicine
Myles Sheehan SJ: Revisiting Professionalism
Allen Roberts: Medical Interventions: What to Stop and When to Stop It
Sarah Vittone: Moral Distress and the Entangled Experience
Claudia Sotomayor: A Review on Clinical Ethics Committees and Clinical Ethics Consultation
Maggie Little: Data & Digital Ethics
Gaël Girard SJ: Environmental Justice
Jim Giordano: Bold New Neuroscience; Brave New Neuroethics?
Quill Kukla: A Nonideal Theory of Sexual Consent
John Keown: Desmond Tutu, George Carey and Euthanasia
Saturday, June 5th: THE ETHICS OF PANDEMICS
LIVE Webinar 11am-12:30pm US EDT – Register for Zoom Link
An Expert, Interdisciplinary Panel Discussion. Moderator: Daniel Sulmasy
Panel: Lawrence Gostin; Christine Grady; Henry Richardson; Patrick Smith; Karen Stohr
This research guide provides bibliographic resources for the program sessions and panel discussion topics presented in the symposium “A New Era of Bioethics at Georgetown”, a 50th anniversary event showcasing the Kennedy Institute of the Ethics (KIE), the Pellegrino Center for Clinical Bioethics (PCCB) and ethics at Georgetown University.
50th Anniversary Symposium Q & A
We welcome your questions to any of the prerecorded sessions and in advance of the live panel on Saturday, June 5th. Please submit your questions no later than 11:59pm US EDT on June 12th for any sessions. For questions in advance of the June 5th panel on pandemic ethics, please submit your questions by 5pm on Friday, June 4th.